Position Statement of The Beekeepers of Indiana
The Beekeepers of Indiana (TBoI) encourages the development of permissive Urban Beekeeping ordinances within cities and towns in Indiana.
- In order to promote responsible small scale beekeeping within urban/suburban communities, and
- In recognition of the national trend to allow urban beekeeping in major cities and towns throughout the US, and
- In recognition of the current plight of pollinators in general, and
- In recognition of the vital role that honeybees play, not only in our national and world food supply, but also in our urban and local gardens, orchards and floral culture, and
- In recognition that many citizens enjoy the pleasures and experiences of small scale beekeeping, and
- In recognition that local beekeepers are often a willing and available resource to help remedy honeybee problems within their communities, and
- In recognition that TBOI stands as a 1,700 member organization, with many local chapters, that provides educational support to beekeepers and communities throughout Indiana,
We hereby encourage the development of local ordinances which permit the practice of responsible urban beekeeping.
Submitted by John Suko 09/27/16